Thomas Jefferson was....
- six feet tall and had red hair
- 3rd of 10 children in his family, two died in childhood.
- NicknamedThe Sage of Monticello · Man of the People · Father of the University of Virginia
- married to his distant cousin, 23 year old widow Martha Wayles Skelton
- the author of Declaration of Independence - 1776 one of the men who signed the Declaration of Independence - 1776
- the one who sent Meriwether Lewis and Thomas Clark on their famous expedition to explore the Western United States - 1804-1806, (Lewis was an aide to President Jefferson)
- pronounced dead on July 4th, 1826 (the 50th anniversary of the Declaration of Independence) at age 83, this is the same day that Jefferson's one time rival, former President John Adams died (they became friends later in life), Jefferson died a few hours before Adams
- was the author of his own epitaph, insisting not a word to be changed:
AUTHOR OF THE DECLARATION OF AMERICAN INDEPENDENCE
OF THE STATUTE OF VIRGINIA FOR RELIGIOUS FREEDOM
AND FATHER OF THE UNIVERSITY OF VIRGINIA
BORN APRIL 2 1743 O.S.
DIED JULY 4 1826
(The O.S. in the birthdate stands for "Old Style," referring to the old Julian calendar used in English nations at the time of Jefferson's birth, the calendar was changed to the Gregorian in 1752 )
- the one to sell his personal library of 6,487 books to the Federal government in 1815 to restart the Library of Congress which had been burned during the British invasion of Washington DC during the War of 1812.
- Thomas Jefferson’s face IS featured in the carving on the side of Mount Rushmore, near Keystone, South Dakota, along with Washington, Roosevelt, and Lincoln.
- Thomas Jefferson Memorial